A Personal Injury Lawyer’s Review of a Car Insurance Policy: Property Damage, Personal Injury, and More

Recently we published a blog that detailed the liability coverage of your car insurance policy which covered everything from the bare minimum coverage you should have to spousal liability coverage. Now, let’s dig into the property damage part of your policy so you can ensure your policy is set up to give you the coverage you need to truly protect yourself. This part of the policy is going to cover you for any damage that your car causes to other people’s cars or to other types of property (i.e., fences, houses, buildings, etc.) 

The bare minimum coverage you should have

The least amount of coverage you can have on the property damage portion of your car insurance policy is $10,000, which is nowhere near enough to cover you if you need to tap into this part of your policy. Given the value of today’s cars and the fact that some accidents include multi-car pile ups, we recommend that you have at least $100,000 of coverage. Mark T. Freeley has increased his to $250,000 to give himself peace of mind that he is covered if he needs to be, especially given that the value of cars today and the cost of repairs is significantly higher than in years past and these damages can add up quickly. Since it is only a minimal increase in what you pay for your insurance, it makes it well worth getting the extra coverage.

The Personal Injury Protection part of your policy

Also known as No-Fault benefits, you’ll likely have heard of the Personal Injury Protection part of your policy, and this covers your medical expenses and loss of wages when you’re involved in an accident. $50,000 is the mandatory New York State minimum, but you are able to purchase up to $175,000 of benefits as part of this coverage. You can also opt to increase your missed wages monthly payment to the maximum of $4,000 a month which is double the $2,000 minimum.

Other coverages

Another part of your coverage is the Comprehensive coverage which covers any type of damage that is not from a collision (i.e., scratches to your car, broken glass, etc.) which you will want to select a deductible you are comfortable with. Another type of coverage is the Collision coverage which covers your vehicle for any damage in an accident. Even if you cause the accident, this will cover you to get the necessary repairs (or to replace your vehicle if needed) so you can get back on the road safely. If another car hits you and damages your car but they don’t have any coverage, this part of your policy would cover you and would enable you to put in a claim. Not everyone opts for collision coverage, but it is a great idea to add this, especially if your car has substantial value.

One thing to note is that even if the other driver does have insurance, you can put in a claim with your insurance company for the damages to your car through your collision coverage so you can get back on the road quicker. Then your insurance company can go after the other insurance company to recover those funds. This is especially helpful when the other driver is disputing who was at fault for the accident.

To learn more about the other parts of your policy including the liability coverage and more, click here. If you or someone you know was in a serious car accident on Long Island and needs an attorney, call Mark at 631-495-9435 for an honest conversation.

Hear my full review of what you should have in your car insurance policy.